Start of the implementation of the project
‘EV13 missing section: Filling the gap – Completion of the
cross-border section of EuroVelo 13 route between Drávatamási and Virovitica’
EV13 GAP is a continuation of the ‘Drava4enjoy’ project that started the construction of the cycling infrastructure in the Virovitica-Podravina County and creation of a series of other conditions for the development of the cyclotourist offer at the destination. Based on ‘Drava4Enjoy’ one has reconstructed the Janković manor house that was then transformed into a hotel, whose goal is to ensure accommodation in the rank of bike & bed standard, in particular because it is the starting point of an important cycling event – Pannonia-Bilogora recreational MTB marathon. In order to make this possible, it is necessary to upgrade and provide additional facilities, which will be implemented through the EV13 Gap project. It should be noted that the manor house Janković is located in the village of Kapela Dvor, less than 1 km away from the EV13 route.
Therefore, through the implementation of the project, one will reconstruct the former farm building beside the Janković manor house and construct a new one, that will have the facilities that are directly oriented at the cyclotourists and the facilities that can enrich their stay. This will be a bike storage, wardrobes for the cyclists, an additional wardrobe with showers, a topical ‘Butterfly’s garden’ rest and a smaller wellness and wine bar. From the project site up to the border with Hungary, one has envisaged marking the so-called ‘safe route’ that goes along the macadam roads from the football playground through the fields. Moreover, one will place 4 independent bicycle repairing stations.
For the Hungarian partner, the town of Barcs, the main investment refers to the construction of a cycling route that passes directly along the river Drava from the town of Drávatamási to the excursion site on the riverbank in the town of Barcs. The trail is 8.5 km long, and beside it, cyclist stops will be made. The cycling route will be built as a continuation of the already existing one and once it is completed, the section will be a part of a continuous 120 km long cycling route in the direction of Mohacs.As the rest of the activities, one should mention the organisation of the MTB camp for the young upon the completion of the construction, which will gather the young from Croatia and Hungary. A cycling competition will follow, i.e. the Pannonia-Bilogora recreational MTB marathon, and a series of promotional activities of the Tourist Board of the Virovitica-Podravina County.
KEY PROJECT ACTIVITIES
1. The development of the accompanying facilities for the cyclotourists and tourist facilities in the Kapela Dvor tourist-educational centre – construction of a new building and upgrading of the existing farm building which will house a bike storage, a bike repair room, a wardrobe, a wine bar and a minor wellness.
2. Construction of the cycling trail from Drávatamási to Barcs, 8.5 km long
3. Marking a safe route from the tourist educational centre in Kapela Dvor up to the state border
4. Development of a bike service station network
5. Creation of a cross-border action plan for the development of cyclotourism
6. Cycling camp for the young
7. Cycling competition
GOALS OF THE PROJECT
General goal – Development of environmentally acceptable tourist products and creation of a sustainable cross-border cyclotourist destination.
1. Development of a cycling infrastructure that is missing on the EuroVelo 13 route in order to create a comprehensive and attractive cyclotourist destination.
2. Through the development of additional facilities for cyclists, the goal is to increase the attractiveness of the cross-border cyclotourist destination between the towns of Virovitica and Barcs.